Being a paid on-call fire fighter at Winkler Fire Department is fun, hard, and rewarding work. We seek individuals who are committed to working in a professional manner as a member of a team dedicated to providing outstanding service to the City of Winkler and surrounding Communities.
Recruiting is initiated when vacancies become available. At that time applications are reviewed and individuals are contacted to begin the process. For new fire department recruits the following stages are to be completed:
- be at least 18 years of age at the time of testing
- filled out a fire department application form (link found below)
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license and be capable of obtaining a class 4 drivers license with air endorsement – must provide driver’s license abstract
- pass a fire department physical fitness test
- pass an fire department aptitude test
- Must submit a Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Inquiry,
- participate in an interview with the recruiting team
- Recruiting team will review Stage 1 results and recommend the successful candidates for Stage 2
- pass first aid & CPR course (training provided) – 16hrs
- successfully complete Fire Fighter Level I which includes Hazmat Ops and ICS 100 (training provided) – 254 hrs
- Winkler Fire Department Operations Orientation Training – 16hrs
- At this time successful new fire department recruits will placed on the roster, be given a pager and be able to respond to calls
- Class 4 driver’s license
A recruit must pass all 4 stages to be paid as an on-call firefighter
We encourage interested individuals to apply by completing an application form and dropping it off at the Fire Station at 290 Pembina Ave. in Winkler. Application forms will be kept on file until the next recruiting process takes place at which time individuals will be contacted for an interview. Application forms are available here or at the Fire Station.
Applications are accepted any time.